Thursday, January 28, 2010

The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.

Some of you may know that we have chickens. Some of you may also know that I do not care for them very much. Robbie likes to let the birds run free with the wind. You may have seen them at Maverick occasionally. But they sure do make a terrible mess. Pooping, Digging, MOLTING!
But every now and then I find a soft spot in my heart for these creatures. They truly love you! When they see me comin' they come a runnin'. I'll throw them some dried bread or some leftover corn, it makes their day. They're like little children.
So as I pondered their fate this morning I decided MY attitude needed changing. I need to nurture these birds for they provide me with fresh eggs daily...and I don't feel quite as bad for my lack of food storage.
I feel like I am a farm girl at heart...why not become one?
"There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace."
-Aldo Leopold

7 comments:

Jennifer O'Rarden said...

I love your thoughts on the chickens. I'm glad you have chickens because it introduced us to chickens.
I know it may sound silly, but I love to sit at my kitchen table and watch through the window as they wander my yard (hopefully they don't wander to the neighbors' yards...); it makes me happy to know that for so little effort on my part, they give so much back. the babies love them, the older kids love them--and all the neighbor kids think we have "the coolest pets on the block" (I guess if you call 2 steer and 8 chickens pets then we do).

Linda Stubbs said...

Hi Mindy. This is Prairie Flower. I came over from SPF. What a fun blog you have. I loved the little chicken looking at the fried egg. I am a homeschool mom and so I called the girls over. The oldest said she say this one, but it said, MOM is that you? I know that one isn't as funny. Haha!

I have a flock of chickens, 2 ducks (mom and dad) an 1 turkey. I love them!.

I am having a drawing over at my blog for a cookbook, please come over and sign up if you like!

Blessings Mindy, nice to meet you!
Linda

Pauline said...

Hi, Mindy -
I wandered over here from SPFH, too - and am so glad I did! You have a charming little blog here - and I loved your comments about chickens! My grandparents had a farm, and when I was little I loved their chickens! Especially loved the photos of the chick and the egg - tooooo cute!

Rachel said...

I loved this post, Mindy. I have lots of fun memories at your house and always having something to do for an animal of some sort - some tiny, some not so much! :) It makes me miss my grandpa and his little farm.

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious!!

JeaniePalmer said...

You have such a nice way of looking at everything. I grew up with chickens and I still don't like them much!
I love the wedding picture!

Counting Sheep said...

I love chickens! We had them in our yard growing up, and I wish I was allowed to keep them where I live now, but alas, the city ordinances won't allow it. My mother never cared for them, same reasons -- poop, feathers and scratching up her flower beds. She has learned to accommodate them over the years though, she removed the flower beds that were close the house and she and my Dad quit throwing them scraps close to the house (they take the scraps out to the coop). So now the chickens are much better at staying away from the house and my Mom has become much more affectionate toward them. Because they really are like small children, sometimes you just have to chicken proof your home, train them to stay within certain boundaries, then sit back and enjoy!